Sunday, November 14, 2010

Truth 9 - someone you didn't want to let go of, but just drifted

Well it's pretty clear I'm not going to get these truths out in 30 days. One truth this day, two another day - whatever. I'll get them done in my own sweet time :p And yes, I realize I skipped truth 8 which was "someone who made your life hell or treated you badly." First of all, I think that's a little weird to write about (especially since there's almost a 100% chance it would get around to that person, thanks to Facebook), and I'm not doing it because I simply don't feel like it - there I go making decisions based on feelings again! See!!

So onto #9 - Oh boy, I can think of so many! I was a kid who had to move around a lot - between going to 3 high schools in 3 provinces, a college where most people come from far off places to study at, and working at summer camps where people also travel from abroad to work at, it makes it very easy to make really great relationships in short periods of time that drift apart mainly because of distance. (was that run-on sentence? I don't feel like fixing it). I think the hardest ones for me were my high school friends from Thunder Bay though. I had some of the best years of my life there (grade 9 & 10), and had to move away for grade 11. The beginning of that year was one of the hardest times of my life. Seriously, SO hard. I felt like my life got frozen in time and at the same time I was just going through the motions in a deep dark hole. I would come home from school and do nothing. I'd have baths almost every night and just sit in the tub and cry... My T.Bay friends had brought me so much life, so much joy, so much excitement. I belonged, I had a place, I LOVED my friends! Then I moved to a place where I was nobody. I felt like a nobody. I was in a new high school where I was basically a flea on the wall... in a school so different from the one I loved so much. I didn't understand the new people; they acted differently, dressed differently, and treated me differently (I should mention though that I ended up meeting some great people there, and have stayed in contact with them, and I ended up finding some wonderful friends who I still love - AND it's where we had the opportunity to have Ami as our international student which was amazing and I loved her as well).
I stayed in really close contact with my T.Bay friends that first year being away, and even went back in the summer to work with them at the summer camp I grew up going to. But then I moved once again, even further this time, and as the story goes, we drifted.... I went back a few times, but it was different and I was sad about that. But that's the way life goes, and even though it was really hard on me to feel so far away and so out of the loop, part of me is thankful I moved when I did because I only have the good memories of them. Maybe if I had stayed there, circumstances would have driven us apart or we would have gone separate ways. Maybe that would have been harder on me... All I can say is that I'm thankful for the years I had at Fort William Collegiate Institute, and I'm thankful for Facebook so I can keep in touch with all the people who have been important in my life - especially the ones I've 'drifted' from :o)





No comments: