Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Truth 4 - something you have to forgive someone for

Forgiveness. It can be a hard one for me. Since I was a little girl, I would hold onto things that other people had done to hurt me, intentionally or not. I would use unforgiveness as a form of protection so I wouldn't get hurt anymore. It's so much easier to feel anger or bitterness than pain. I remember my mom telling me that I needed to keep my heart soft and not let it become hardened, because she could see in me this tendency to hold on to unforgiveness. The problem is, I'M the one who suffers when I don't forgive, not the person I'm bitter towards. I've heard that unforgiveness is even linked to physical ailments. When Chris got in a very bad car accident because of a drunk driver, the psychologist right away told him he needed to forgive the driver because it would help him with the healing process. This is of course, very easy to have as head knowledge, but heart knowledge is so much harder. So is there someone I need to forgive? Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone. I have had to work VERY hard at letting go of all bitterness I have, and have even made a list of everyone who came to mind - from as young as junior high when kids are so hurtful, to my own parents and husband - and I went through each one of them and made a conscious choice to forgive them. Now even with that done, I can still actually think of a few lingering quietly at the forefront of my mind, and have once again, right now, made a mental note that I need to forgive them..... but unfortunately for you, I won't share them, no need to 'air dirty laundry' or stir up drama, LOL!!!

No comments: