Wednesday, November 3, 2010

30 days of truth

So there's this blogging trend going around right now where you answer a question every day about yourself, and you have to answer honestly. I think it was supposed to start at the beginning of the month, so I'm going to have to do a bit of catch-up :o)

Day 1
Something you dislike about yourself


Ok, nothing like starting off with a bang! To be honest, I am very critical of myself in every area of my life. My tendency is to focus on all the ways I don't measure up, then feel down about it (seriously, my sister has gotten a good earful just by asking me how I'm doing when it happened to be a couple days before a certain 'aunt flo's' visit). BUT I know this about myself, so I don't let it run my life, and I try not to focus on my faults, but rather to accept them as a fact of life. It's hard for me to swallow, but I know I will never be perfect....but it pains me.... I want to be a perfect mother to my beautiful children, a perfect wife for my handsome hubby, and a perfect person full of self discipline and motivation.... which probably leads into the number one thing I dislike about myself: lack of self discipline
Yeah, if I think about it, every area where self discipline is required in life is lacking for me. I am pretty much only motivated by ultimatums and pressing deadlines (which I usually end up missing because I am a terrible judge of time). I am late ALL the time and feel very shameful about it after the fact, as I've most likely been grumpy with the kids to hurry up even though it's my fault we're late in the first place. I also don't have a lot of self discipline in the areas of physical wellbeing - ie. going to bed on time, eating well, resisting temptation to eat more of the things I really like, not exercising, over-spending, and not having the discipline to do things I don't FEEL like doing. I wish there was a magic button I could push that would make me want to only make good decisions based on knowledge that would take future consequences into account, but no, I just continually let feelings be the basis for my decision making. Yup, this would have to be the number one thing I dislike about myself, just thinking about it makes me angry and disappointed with myself.... (this is kinda heavy for a blog post!)

1 comment:

Amber said...

Yay! I'm so happy to see that you are doing this too. :)

HUGS on what you don't like about yourself; I can relate though! Especially to hurrying the kids along when it's not their fault we're running late. That is totally me.

I'll be reading along; looking forward to seeing your posts. :)