Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Truth 5 - something you hope to do in your life

Hmmmm.......I guess I should just write about the number one thing that pops into my head. I sat here for a few minutes trying to decide what I should say; maybe something about going back to school, becoming a grandparent, impacting lives, blah blah blah. But really the number one thing I think of is just to go to Japan. It sounds so simple and possibly anti-climactic, but there is just a special place in my heart for Japan. I had my first Japanese international student, Aki, when I was in grade 9. She was so sweet, kind, loveable, and in a sense, I fell in love. There was something about their culture that appealed to me right from the beginning. Perhaps it was their politeness and generosity. I'm always blown away at the amount of gifts they bring us, and their ability to express sincere gratitude. The following year, we got TWO students, who I also adored (Kumi & Kenji), then when I moved to Winnipeg for grade 11, the high school I went to ALSO had an international program for students from...... where else?? JAPAN of all places! I even got to take Japanese for a full semester that year, and I loved it! Our international student that year was Ami, and to this day, we still love her like she's part of our family. She actually came to Winnipeg to visit us a year and a half ago, and it was like long lost friends re-united. We hadn't seen her in over 10 years! THEN, when I went to college, I got my TESOL certificate (teaching english to speakers of other languages), in hopes of going to........ Japan!....... to teach ESL. (in my second year of college, the only Japanese student at the school was in my dorm too - seriously, is this a sign????)
But then..... I got married. It sounds sad, but you know how it is; life swoops you up, and before you know it, you're a stay at home mom, married to a pilot who is gone for a week, home for a week, and the dreams of your youth somehow get lost in dirty diapers and wiping noses :o) I know, I know, there are many married people who this didn't happen to, but Japan was MY dream, not Chris', and I just think it wasn't our time. But our time will come, and Chris even says that we WILL go to Japan someday. (secretly I hope we live there..... shhh)

Recently my parents went to Japan for their international student's wedding (Miwa - another one who feels like part of our family), and I was SOOOOOO excited for them!!!! The day they flew there, I kept thinking "I can't believe they're STILL in the plane! I've done so much today, and all they've done is FLY!" When they got there, I waited for their Skype call, and ended up talking to them up to 2 times a day during their holiday!! At one point when they were telling me all about their experience, I got a little teary eyed and felt really sad because they were doing what I had wanted to do so badly for so many years. But that's ok! I WILL go to Japan one day, and it will be awesome! I can't wait to see my wonderful Japanese friends who made me fall in love with them and their culture <3

This is my parents with our wonderful friend, Ami, on their recent visit to Japan <3


No comments: