Sunday, November 4, 2007

My Grandma


Today would have been my grandma's 71 birthday, but she went to be with Jesus on September 18, 2007. I remember her 70th birthday party last year. It seems like such a short time ago. She had so many people there and although she was sick, she came out for a while and I remember her sitting on the couch with her sisters, just laughing and talking. Even when she was sick, she always had a smile on her face, and it wasn't a forced smile, it was genuine. I miss the way she talked, her stories, the tone of her voice and her excitement about everything she talked about. I miss seeing the way her face lit up when she saw Ethan, and how nothing else in the room mattered when he was there. I'm so glad she got to meet him and that in the midst of her pain, she could get some relief and forget about that pain when she looked in the smiling face of her great grandson.

We had a birthday party for her today. I'm sorry she couldn't be there and I'm sad that she won't be at any of the birthday parties we'll have in the future, but I'm glad that I get to see her in my family around me. I know it's cliche' but it's true. The way we love to tell stories, how we love to be goofy and have fun, and also in the way we love to be with each other. Although I won't get to talk to her again until we meet in Heaven, at least I get to see little glimpses of her in the ones I love.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I love that picture of Ethan with your Grandma!! He's looking at her so intently and looks so interested in her:) I'm so glad you have a blog--I love reading them:) (Not that I don't already know everything that's going on in your life, since we never talk;) but it's nice to see it with pictures, b/c I am missing out on that part:)

Erica H said...

Great picture! You're doing awesome at this blog thing!

tableforone said...

Thank you for this beautiful picture Mandi. I agree with you that the pieces of each of us that are a part of who mom / grandma was is such a delight. It was a sad day yesterday, and I still feel lost today, but it is good, and I want to go to this place until it feels like home... again!
Auntie Sherry