Monday, November 19, 2007

Just Go to Sleep!



I just don't get why it's so hard for babies to lie there with their eyes closed until they fall asleep! Today Ethan was awake in his crib, totally tired, for over 2 hours! He wasn't crying, just fussing off and on. Finally I just took him out and let him play, then tried again half an hour later and he fell asleep. He ended up being awake for 5 hours total!! And now he's SO tired, but has been fussing in his bed for 45 minutes. JUST GO TO SLEEP!! I know I shouldn't care and I should get on with my daily tasks, but it just bothers me. It's like I can't focus on anything until he's asleep. When he was about 3 months old, I could just lay him down and he'd stare until he drifted sweetly into deep sleep. Now I have to go in, lay him down, and put the soother in a number of times until he's SO tired that he just can't stay awake anymore.


I guess it's not like this all the time, just when he's overtired. I also think he's teething - he's almost nine months, I hope he gets teeth! Well, as I'm writing, his fussing is dying down to soft whimpers. Ahh...I can go lay down on the couch and read by the Christmas tree with my Sarah McLaughlin Christmas CD playing softly in the background...that's pretty much as close to heaven as I can get right now....well actually if I was in a big soaker jacuzzi tub instead of on the couch and had a glowing fire...maybe one day when I have a big enough bathroom to fit my Christmas tree in. :o)

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I totally know what you mean about not being able to concentrate until they're asleep---I am so tense when I can hear she's awake--even if she's content! b/c she's on the top floor though, I can just go into the kitchen and get stuff done and I can't hear her. I think sleeping just gets a little harder as they get older b/c they're so much more aware of everything!