Thursday, December 4, 2008

Our Little Comedian

The funniest thing just happened so I had to come and write about it.
The older Ethan gets, the funnier he gets. He gets this little glint in his eye and you know he's about to do something funny.
So here's a little bit of history: Ethan has known a few colours for quite a while now, so he'd always point to something and say it's colour. One time he pointed to Chris' red shirt and said "yellow." Chris said "this is red" to which Ethan stated emphatically "YELLOW." Thus began Ethan's love for arguing. Yup, he thinks it's hillarious to argue. So if I say "we're going to nana's house" he'll say "Gramma's house!" so I'll say "gramma's house" and he'll say "nana's house." It's quite fun and we get a kick out of it around here, so it eggs him on.
Well tonight I was saying goodnight to him and went through the regular routine of praying, giving kisses, giving him his "ni-night" (blanket), and for the first time he asked specifically for his stuffed monkey so I gave it to him. As I was leaving I said "goodnight honey" and he said "goodnight monkey." I indignantly said "I'm not monkey!" He got a big kick out of that and said it again. So funny! So I give him another kiss and he said "bye." As I was walking out the door, I said "I love you Ethan, say I love you mommy." Without missing a beat he said "I love you monkey!" I burst out laughing and so did he! He is SO funny! So as I was laughing he kept saying it and I kept laughing, and as I closed the door he was still saying it and laughing.
It's one thing to watch your kid learn words (nouns, verbs, etc.), but lately I've been amazed at his ability to understand words with more abstract concepts. His latest thing is asking to see things. He always hears the furnace go on and asks "go see furnace? Furnace is on." Or he all of a sudden started using the word "too" in the right context. It started with him asking "Ethan come too" if I was going somewhere, but then he started using it in sentences like "too big, or too hot, or too cold." I'm sure this is quite boring to the average reader, but I find it amazing to watch him develop his language skills. (I've posted a little video that I happen to have on the computer since it's been a while.)

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Ethan's so funny:)! I can't wait for he and Kallie to hang out in a few weeks! They're going to have so much fun together...Ethan will probably be teaching Kallie jokes by then:) I'm so glad you're blogging again!