Saturday, January 24, 2009

Getting Organized

Over the past few days, I've been thinking a lot about having more structure in my life. When you have a job or school to go to, there's automatically structure because you have to be there at a certain time. Since I've been home with my kids, I've lost all sense of routine and structure because there's no pressing reason to make me have it. We wake up, eat, then the rest of the day is a free-for-all. I know that kids thrive on routine and I also love to be orgainzed, so I've decided to become more organized and disciplined in my every day life and here's how:

1. I am going to wash my face, brush my teeth, and put on lotion every evening. (yes, I have let this go, I'm pathetic, what can I say?)
2. I am going to have a routine to my day. Eg. eat breakfast, do dishes while Ethan watches Barney, have silly song time, do crafts, free play, lunch, nap, etc....
3. I am going to make a meal plan every week
4. I'm going to go to bed earlier. Lately I haven't been going to bed before midnight and I'm always tired!
5. I'm limiting myself to 1 1/2 hours a day on the computer. I spend way too much time on the computer and it's a waste of my life and robs my family of quality time.
6. I'm going to drink more water. I never drink enough in a day
7. I'm going to make a cleaning schedule. Eg. Wed. is laundry, Thurs. is vaccuuming etc...
8. I'm going to live by a budget and stop making needless purchases
Wow, that's quite a list and I'm going to tackle it in baby steps so it's not overwhelming, but I need to make these changes in my life and I'm excited to do them!

1 comment:

Erica H said...

Good for you! I need to do everything on that list, too, to make my life more organized. I can imagine it'll only get tougher with two. One thing I HAVE been doing for the last couple months or so is make a 2 week meal plan twice a month, and let me tell you...it has worked PHENOMENALLY in our household. Not only am I not scrambling at supper hour wondering what to make, but its saved us some major moula! I make only TWO big grocery runs a MONTH! Then of course we buy produce and milk when need be - but I think you'll find that will save you SO much time! I encourage any and all mom's/wives to do something like that.