Thursday, February 28, 2008

Sick Baby

(he isn't actually sick in this pic, but it was closest
I could find to him looking sick)
So last night we got a babysitter, and Ethan had been a little cranky before we left, so we figured he was tired and told her to just put him straight to bed. When we got home she said he went to bed no problem, and just fussed a little. Well I always check on him before I go to bed so I went to do that and noticed his cheeks were burning hot, but thought it might be because he always lies on his stomache with his face in his blanket. Well at 6:00 am, he woke up crying so I went to give him his bottle and noticed that his whole head felt like it was on fire, so I gave him some Tylenol and he fell back asleep.


Well he seemed to be doing ok this morning, a little cranky, but I figured he was just teething. I also noticed a very large "blister thing" on his tongue. It's about the circumference of a pencil eraser, maybe a tad smaller, but pretty big for his little tongue. I gave him some more Tylenol at 10:00, just to manage the fever. Well at around 2:00 pm he started getting VERY fussy and was crying quite hard, wouldn't drink water or his bottle, and wouldn't eat. My mom said the sore might be a fever blister and we figured it was affecting his eating, so I went and got some Orajel and gave him some more Tylenol. He was SO sad and wouldn't stop crying for about an hour, so we decided we needed to take him to the Emergency.


The whole time we were waiting at the hospital, Ethan lay against my chest with his head on my shoulder and wouldn't move. I knew I had a very sick baby on my hands. He won't even do that when he's tired, normally! If I would move him in any way, he would cry SO hard and was very hard to calm down. Finally the doctor came and checked him out, and told us he had pus on the back of his throat and has a throat infection. Poor baby. I've never, ever seen him like this. The rest of the day has been pretty rough; he's shivering a lot, but feels so hot to the touch, he wants to be held, but doesn't want to be held at the same time, he cries when we put him down, he cries when we pick him up. We crushed ice cubes for him this evening and he liked those, I'm sure they felt nice on his throat and tongue. Thankfully, he's had 4 bottles today which makes me feel good because I know he's getting some nutrients at least. I made them really cold, which seemed to help. He also drank 1/2 a cup of cold water this evening and has gone down for naps and the night with no problems, thank the Lord!!


I'm hoping he has a good night and wakes up feeling a bit better (he sure has a lot of medicine flowing through him!). I'll keep you posted, and in the meantime, say a little prayer for our sick baby. Thanks :o)

2 comments:

Lauren said...

That's so sad...poor little Ethan! I can't imagine being that sick so young when you can't even say what's wrong! I'm praying for him...and for you guys...having a sick baby is so sad and draining.

Anonymous said...

Poor little Ethan!! Strep throat is horrible but it is amazing how fast the medication works!! Dana used to have it a lot when she was little but was better in no time with medication. Let him suck on frozen fruit popsicles as it feels soooo good on the throat!! Hugs & kisses to Ethan. Love Sharen Whitburn xoxoxox