Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day Fun!

Mother's Day ended up being a gorgeous day! A few more degrees warmer would have been nice, but we still got to enjoy being outside. My day started with Chris taking me up for a ride in the new plane he flies and it was very cool! I'm used to him flying little single engine planes that move at ridiculously slow speeds and always take off out of Steinbach's airport. Well, this time we took off from the Winnipeg International Airport where all the big jets take off from. There was lots of rubber marks all over the runway and it felt cool, like Chris was a big time pilot :o) (so dorky). Then, when we actually took off, I was expecting it to be like all the other times I'd flown with him, but this plane has turbo boosters (or something) that all of a sudden made us go really fast and I got pushed back in my seat! I'm sure this doesn't sound that exciting, but it made me feel so proud of Chris (especially with his spiffy pilot uniform on). He's worked so hard and he finally is a "real" pilot, flying turbine engine planes. I also know he felt really good being able to take me up. We landed safe and sound at the St. Andrews airport after a short 10 minute ride, then had to drive 40 minutes BACK to the international airport to get our cars, lol!


So after the ride in the sky (nerd, I know), we came back to my parent's house just in time for our mother's day barbecue. My mom made a fabulous meal, our first barbecue of the year. It was a beautiful day, so we ate outside while the kids played in the backyard (I'm REALLY glad they have a fenced yard, let me tell you!).
The cousins having fun with grandma and grandpa

Ethan's not quite sure about this wheelbarrow ride

These cousins are going to have a blast growing up together!

We then headed off to the zoo! I hadn't been there in who knows how long, and my favorite part was seeing the big grizzly bear playing in the water and scratching his back on the rocks - his claws were HUGE, I don't EVER want to meet one of those guys in the wild! Ethan loved all the animals and he either barked at them or said "kitty." I guess he doesn't quite understand the concept of different animals.

Being prego and all, I didn't have the stamina to do much walking, so I sat a lot and saw about one quarter of the zoo. Chris of course toured the entire thing with Ethan in the stroller (I'm so thankful Ethan has a fun dad to make up for my lack of energy).
Gearing up for the zoo!

The whole family

(I'm not sure why I'm standing like a mannequin)

We had a great day overall, being a mom sure makes you appreciate your own mom a lot more. It's amazing how even though I'm a mom, my mom is still a mom to me. It's too bad we didn't get to see Chris' mom, hopefully soon we'll be able to fly there all the time (when Chris works for West Jet), maybe next year for Mother's Day.

Happy Mother's Day to all my friends that are moms too, I'm happy we get to share this experience together!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was very cool to read about your ride with Chris...I had wondered about it.
Fabulous day....love you.

Lauren said...

awww...I'm SOOOO happy we're sharing this experience together...I can't even imagine one of us not being a mommy now!! BTW...I LOVE Ethan's 11 month pic, I just noticed it, hilarious! It's so awesome that Ethan and Naveed are going to grow up together, those pictures of the bbq are just so wonderful...they gave me a little pang...I wish Kallie had cousins (no Dana, that is not a go ahead:)!! Anyways, glad you had an awesome mother's day, talk to you later!!

Erica H said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! It looks like you had a wonderful time with family! You're looking very good, Mandi!