Thursday, January 27, 2011

Torn

As you might have noticed, I go through blogging phases. Like many areas of my life, I get gung-ho about it for a while, then lose interest, and on and on the cycle goes. I don't know if I want to admit this, but sometimes I feel like a yo-yo. For example, when I read a blog written by an amazing mother going through hardship that writes non-chalantly and wittily about the woes in her life, it makes me want to take life less seriously and write about things in a light-hearted, easy-read kind of way. I like being funny and silly, and making people smile.
But then other days I'll read a blog that is so raw, so real, so open, that it touches a part deep within me that makes me want to pour out my deepest, hardest questions and struggles because somehow in reading someone else's honesty, it makes me feel free. It makes me feel normal and ok. It makes me want to bring others that freedom. If you read about someone struggling with fear or rejection, doesn't it somehow give you freedom with that person to be real about your own struggles? Honestly, when I read someone's blog that is all 'sunshine, roses, and lollipops,' about how wonderful their life, their husbands, their kids are, it makes me feel somehow.... inferior? I don't know the right word... but I do know that I have changed the way I think about blogging.
I've had experiences with friends in my adult life where being real was never accepted. The only things talked about were other people's shortcomings or the surface, meaningless topics like weather, fashion, house cleaning, or the doings of our children. Don't get me wrong, there's a time and a place for those conversations, but when a friendship grows deeper, doesn't it have to get to a deeper level? But I truly believe for some people, it never can. In order to become close to people, you have to let guards down, you have to be real and vulnerable. It's the only way. The reason I bring this up is because I have sometimes feared being real on my blog because I think some people won't know how to handle it and will judge me. I've believed somewhere along the line that people don't want real. But I'm starting to think otherwise. I think people need to see real in order to experience an element of freedom. Freedom from their own fears of being rejected for having 'stuff.'
Now don't worry, I'll never be one to turn into a 'Negative Nelly,' and I definitely don't believe in only focusing on the negative - let's face it, that's just depressing..... but maybe, just maybe, it's ok to be in a low spot for a while.... maybe sometimes life is just hard, and it's ok to admit it. We all need a Saviour to lift us out of the miry clay, but in the meantime, maybe we have something to learn while being in it.
So I am changing the way I blog. This blog is going to be real. If I'm having a rough patch and need to get out some tough questions swirling in my head, I will. If I have awesome times with the loved ones in my life, I'll post about that too. I just want real.

4 comments:

Tara Serene said...

Thank you. I am looking forward to reading about "the way it it" for real. Mom, wife, and Mandi:)

Tara Serene said...

I mean "the way it is". Geez. Lol.

Amber said...

LIKE! :D

Be real. If people reading don't like it, they don't have to read it.

Thinking that way has freed me. I have my family who loves me no matter what. If others can't love me because of my thoughts or circumstances...well, do I really need them to?

HUGS

Mandi Carter said...

Thanks girls, I appreciate the 'realness' in both your blogs :o)