Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Road Trip!

The idea of driving 15+ hours with an 8 month old and 2 year old might sound like a nightmare to some people, and in a sense, it was, but not in the way you'd think. We packed up and left last Thursday evening at 5 pm - a later start than originaly planned because Chris had to work late. And So we began our journey to Edmonton with a full car and high hopes of our kids sleeping through the night of driving.......um, no. Ethan has always been an incredible sleeper, I can change his poopy diaper in his sleep and he won't wake up. So I figured he'd fall asleep in the first couple hours, and the rest would be history. Apparantly he no longer sleeps well in the car - he was up throughout the night every hour. It's not like he was crying, he'd just wake up, open his eyes, and watch the oncoming cars. It was like the approaching lights somehow put him in a trance-like state in which he couldn't close his eyes. He would often be up for over an hour, then fall asleep again. I kept saying to him "Ethan, put your blanket over your head and go to sleep" to which he'd reply "ok mommy," then peek out the side of the blanket, LOL!!

This is Ethan sleeping in the car when he was 1 yr. old, aww

Then there was my plan to sleep....no such luck. I was so freaked out that Chris would fall asleep at the wheel, that I couldn't sleep! And I had only gotten 3 hours the night before! I think I fell asleep 4 times for half an hour each time. Out of all of us, Anthony was the only one that slept, but even he woke up for a couple hours from 2-4, not crying, just awake.

Our forever smiling Anthony :o)

We finally arrived at our destination - Chris' parent's house - at 5:00 am (their time, which is 6:00 our time). So the trip which would have been over 15 hours in the day ended up being 13, woohoo!! It was nice that we didn't have to stop to eat or change diapers, and it saved us a ton of time - HOWEVER, I don't think it was worth it, and we will be driving home during the day on the way back!! There are not many things that are worse than being SOOOOO sleep deprived and exhausted that your head has a permantent dull ache, your eyes can only open half way, and you have a constant underlying feeling of nausea, all of which will only go away after some good shut-eye. So that was our through-the-night-roadtrip-nightmare! (the nightmare was that I wanted to be sleeping, but couldn't!)

3 comments:

Lauren said...

That picture of Anthony is BEYOND ADORABLE!!! Those squishy little cheeks and sweet smile, oh my goodness!:)

Anonymous said...

I am SO glad you made it safely to Edmonton....was awake myself for 2 hours in the night....thanks to praying for safety for the little troop of Carters in the Car!
I am with you - the driving through the night has never been worth it for me either....I continue to think the driver will fall asleep so I can't.
I am glad you will be traveling home in the daylight. AND given Chris' career, I am so impressed that you guys drove somewhere.

Erica H said...

Such cute photos! We drove to Medicine Hat once through the night from Winnipeg...that was TORTURE! We won't do that ever again...