Tuesday, February 1, 2011

For Parents

I have a link that I've been meaning to share with you all for a long time. Now be warned, this link is not for the faint of heart, and it really is a heavy. Don't read it if your kids are around, or if you're expecting company.
If you are a parent or an auntie or uncle, or anything of the like, you must read it, and you need to read it when you have time to process it. It has impacted Chris and I greatly, and has definitely affected the way we take care of, and talk to our kids. It's a hard truth, but it needs to be told. I don't share this link to provoke fear though, so if you are prone to that, you might not want to read it. I am sharing this to provoke action. To provoke protective action for our children.  This blog post is written by someone who is very close to one of my best friends and it has hit too close to home for me....

http://dollfamilyzone.blogspot.com/2010/07/breaking-silence.html

4 comments:

Tara Serene said...

Disturbing but very true. Kids are being harmed and then some of those kids are passing it on to other kids. I was one of those passed on kids.
I want to know where and who my kids are being watched by and I always make the kids keep the doors open. I hate dark play forts that are under stairs. I never let a "by word of mouth" babysitter baysit my kids- only ones that I know and whose familes I know. Many churches now are making it law (and they are required to) that all people involved in childcare have criminal checks. Some think this is overdoing it and a pain in the neck. I applaud it. It makes me feel safer. I go to a small church. I know most faces but I don't know all backgrounds. I don't pass around my baby and I make sure my kids know about their bodies and that only mom can change them.
I will be praying that this child is protected and that a healing comes.

Mandi Carter said...

Tara, I find the whole babysitter thing a difficult process because we don't know anyone around here. I do have 2 people who have been referred to me, and they're both early teen girls from good homes... but I have made sure to tell the boys about not letting anyone touch them, and what they need to do if it were to happen. It's so funny because Ethan will become very loud and furrow his eyebrows and yell "YOU CAN'T TOUCH MY PENIS!!!" and he's said that he won't let other people either. I also make sure I tell the babysitters that it's a big deal for us, and that our boys have been educated and WILL tell us... hopefully this would be enough of a deterrent to anyone with the thought...

Rumour Miller said...

This is my worst nightmare. I think of this often... I tank you for sharing this.

I am going to buy that book that was recommended.

Rumour Miller said...

I just bought that book.